The ancient self-help system of yoga promotes mental and physical well-being and balance, which is vital during times of transition or uncertainty. Being pregnant and giving birth will involve great physical and emotional changes, and knowing how to use and adapt yoga techniques to breath, move and relax during this time will help a pregnant woman to lay deep foundations for decades of mothering.
Benefits of Pre-natal yoga include:
1. Develops stamina and strength – As the baby grows, you will need more energy and strength to carry the weight. Yoga poses strengthen hips, back, arms and shoulders.
2. Relieves tension of lower back, hips, chest, upper back, neck and shoulders.
3. Calms the nervous system – Through deep breathing, the nervous system goes into parasympathetic mode, which is responsible for relaxation. When our bodies are in that mode, our digestions operate properly, we tend to sleep better, and our immune system is at its optimal.
4. Balance – Balance is challenged physically as the fetus grows within our body. As we try to focus on holding and breathing through each yoga pose, we are able to fine tune our balance, physically and emotionally.
5. Preparation for Labour – You are working with conscious breathing during each yoga pose, which may sometimes be challenging. This transfers into the time of labor, allowing you to practice being “comfortable with the uncomfortable” through our breathwork. As you inhale, you acknowledge the tension that is felt. As you deeply exhale, you let go of it more and more with each breath.
If you are running late for a class, please do call reception to let us know, and please be aware that if you are more than 10 minutes late, you may not be permitted to enter, as it may be after the warm up. Also, please note we require a minimum of 48 hours notice for cancellations.